Swiss woman gang-rape: UK issues travel advisory for tourists in India
London: Britain has advised its female tourists to be cautious while travelling in India in the wake of the rape of a Swiss tourist in Madhya Pradesh last week.
"Our travel advice states that women should use caution if travelling alone in India. Reported cases of sexual assault against women and young girls are increasing; recent sexual attacks against female visitors in tourist areas and cities show that foreign women are also at risk," a Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) spokesperson said.
Though the advice has not been modified following last week`s sexual assault on a foreign tourist, the government`s travel advisory remains under constant review in view of the situation on the ground, it added.
"British women have been the victims of sexual assault in Goa, Delhi, Bangalore and Rajasthan and women travellers often receive unwanted attention in the form of verbal and physical harassment by individuals or groups of men. If you are a woman travelling in India you should respect local dress codes and customs and avoid isolated areas, including beaches, when alone at any time of day," said the FCO`s current advisory under the section of `Crime`.
Six men accused of raping the 39-year-old Swiss tourist, who was camping with her husband in a forest in MP, have been remanded in custody. The woman has since been discharged from hospital.
If you are a woman travelling in India, you should respect local dress codes and avoid isolated areas, the UK cautioned.
The incident comes just months after the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old physiotherapy student in New Delhi that sparked outrage. She died later in a hospital in Singapore.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way