Syed Ali Shah Geelani put under house arrest
Srinagar: Hurriyat hawk Syed Ali Shah Geelani was put under house arrest today at his Hyderpora residence soon after his return from the national capital, official sources said.
Geelani, who returned home after spending nearly three months in Delhi, was escorted home by a police party from Srinagar airport, they said.
The hardline faction of the Hurriyat Conference had been informed about his house arrest, the sources said.
On hearing the news, a handful of Geelani`s supporters indulged in stone-pelting outside the residence of the separatist leader resulting in injuries to a cameraman of a TV news agency, they said.
Several other separatist leaders, including chairman of the moderate faction of the Hurriyat Conference Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, were placed under house arrest following the death of a Kashmiri youth in Hyderabad on March two.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter