Syed Asif Ibrahim, Alok Joshi new chiefs of Intelligence Bureau, RAW respectively
New Delhi: Syed Asif Ibrahim and Alok Joshi on Tuesday took over as new chiefs of the country`s top snoop agencies Intelligence Bureau and Research and Analysis Wing.
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had cleared their names in November.
59-year-old Ibrahim is the first Muslim to lead the internal intelligence agency of the country. A 1977-batch IPS officer of Madhya Pradesh cadre, Ibrahim was appointed as OSD in the Intelligence Bureau last month.
He today took over as its Director after incumbent Nehchal Sandhu retired yesterday.
Ibrahim, who joined as a Special Director in the organisation after his return from London where he served as Minister (Coordination), has been with the IB for nearly three decades. He has served the agency in various capacities handling operations, Kashmir, Naxal, security and cyber security.
He was also Private Secretary to late Congress leader Madhavrao Scindia and PDP patron Mufti Mohammed Sayeed.
Joshi, who took over as RAW chief, is a 1976 batch officer of Haryana cadre. He has earlier served as Special Secretary in the agency besides occupying other important positions.
The Appointments Committee of Cabinet had approved Joshi`s appointment for a period of two years or until further orders, whichever is earlier, in place of present incumbent SK Tripathi, whose tenure completed on December 29.
Joshi has served in Intelligence Bureau and Haryana Police with key operations in Nepal and Pakistan to his credit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report