Syed Nasim Ahmad Zaidi appointed Election Commissioner
New Delhi: Syed Nasim Ahmad Zaidi, who retired only a week ago as Civil Aviation Secretary, was on Tuesday appointed as an Election Commissioner.
President Pranab Mukherjee made the appointment filling a vacancy caused by the elevation of V S Sampath as Chief Election Commissioner after S Y Quraishi demitted office.
H S Brahma is the other Election Commissioner.
Zaidi, a 1976 batch IAS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre, retired as Civil Aviation Secretary on July 31.
Prior to that, he had served as Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) and as the Permanent Representative of India to the Council of International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) from 2005-08. He also served earlier as Chairman in Airport Authority of India.
A Masters in Public Administration from Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Zaidi has been a Mason Fellow for Public Policy at Harvard Institute for International Development. He has a Post Graduate Diploma in Business Finance from Indian Institute of Finance and holds doctorate in Bio-Chemistry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Gold price slumps by Rs 370 to 6-week low of Rs 29,200 per ten grams
- Music companies give commercial songs to their artists: Sonu Nigam
- Childhood fitness cuts heart disease risks in adulthood
- Flipkart irks IIM Ahmedabad over delayed joining date, offers poor compensation for late joining
- Acting gives me a kick: Radhika Apte