Syrian violence: India supports Russian draft
United Nations: India has expressed its
support to a draft resolution brought by Russia at the UN
Security Council that strongly condemns the violence in Syria
by "all parties" but does not talk about imposing sanctions or
an arms embargo on Syria.
The surprise draft introduced by Russia on December 16
"strongly condemns" violence "coming from all parties,
including disproportionate use of force by Syrian
The draft "demands that all parties in Syria immediately
stop any violence irrespective of where it comes from".
India`s concerns with regard to Syria have been mainly
that all violence, either by the government forces or
opposition, should stop, there should be respect for human
rights and an inclusive Syrian-led political process to
address the grievances of the people.
"All the three concerns that India has are reflected in
the Russian draft resolution," an Indian diplomat closely
associated with the discussions in the UN Security Council said.
The diplomat said in the preliminary discussion that was
held on the draft resolution, India expressed its support.
However, India`s final stand on the resolution will
depend on what the final version will look like.
Apart from India, Brazil and China (part of the BRIC
grouping) and Lebanon have also expressed support to the
The first round of discussion on the draft will be held
on Monday, the diplomat said.
Russian Ambassador Vitaly Churkin had said the draft
"considerably strengthens" previous drafts "with regard to the
interest in violence, with regard to the need to uphold human
rights, with regard to expediting reforms".
So far, the only action that has come from the Security
Council on Russia is a Presidential Statement asking the
Syrian government to stop the violence.
The statement was passed in August under India`s
Presidency of the Council.
Later in October, Russia and China had vetoed a council
resolution condemning the Syrian violence.
India had abstained from voting on the resolution as it
had threatened sanctions against Syria.
Churkin said the resolution would also "give a strong
message to the Arab League that we encourage them to continue
their efforts, and working together with the government of
Syria, and to carry out its plans to deploy the monitoring
mission in Syria.
While the US is pleased with Russia`s move to support
Security Council action aimed at stopping violence in Syria it
has said it will not accept the "weak" draft as it "appears to
create a sense of parity between these peaceful protesters and
the action of the regime, which has been extremely brutal and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi