T-50 combat jet may compete in South Korean tender
Moscow: The export version of Russia`s T-50 fifth-generation fighter aircraft, jointly developed with India and also called the PAK-FA, is likely to compete in a South Korean tender for 60 combat planes with advanced Stealth capability.
The version is expected to be ready to fly in 2016.
India`s Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) will be a major beneficiary if the T-50 wins the South Korean tender, as many of the aircraft`s electronics systems will be developed in India under the work share agreement between India and Russia.
The two countries are sharing the multibillion dollar development cost of the project.
A Ria Novosti report quoting an unnamed official of the Moscow-based Center for Analysis of World Arms Trade said that the South Korean Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) had expressed an interest in having the T-50 compete along with Lockheed Martin`s F-35 Lightening II joint strike fighter, Boeing`s F-15 Silent Eagle and the European consortium EADS` Eurofighter Typhoon.
A report from Seoul said that the DAPA is likely to issue request for proposals late next year for the acquisition that is likely to happen by 2016-17.
The PAK-FA is expected to be ready for delivery in 2016-17 for both the Russian and India Air Forces.
India plans to induct the fifth generation fighter aircraft by 2017. Defence Minister AK Antony had said during the AeroIndia 2011 show, "The difficulties in this programme are over. We have signed a deal with the Russians, and we will see the fifth generation fighter aircraft is inducted by 2017."
Mikhail Pogosyan, chief executive of Russia`s United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) said during a brief media interaction here that the Indo-Russian fifth generation combat jet project was on track.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31