Tackling terror, economic and cyber crimes top priorities: CBI
Ghaziabad (UP): Fighting terrorism, economic
offences and cyber crimes will be the three top priorities of
the CBI in the years to come, its Director Ashwani Kumar said
"CBI will have top three core functions -- fighting
terrorism, economic and cyber crimes -- in the next ten
years," he told reporters here.
Kumar was speaking during the inauguration of a one-day
health check up camp organised at the CBI Academy here.
The CBI director laid emphasis on dealing with economic
crimes, mainly banking and security-related frauds.
He said as the economy is progressing and globalisation
is increasing, "economic crimes are on rise across the country
and CBI being a central level agency needs a specialised unit
to tackle them."
"We have a special Banking and Securities unit to check
crimes related to share market and banking sector."
The CBI director also laid special emphasis on
Information Technology enabled environment to reduce the
pendency in investigations and in courts.
"In the next ten years, we should give the details of the
cases (investigations related information, chargesheets,
witnesses` statements, interrogation reports) in compact discs
(CDs). For this, necessary infrastructure will be developed
and resources will be provided," Kumar said.
According to the official, there are about 60 special CBI
courts across the country where 9,345 cases are pending. These
courts are in addition to 71 other courts recently approved by
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"We shall be making them as model or hi-tech courts to
deal with CBI cases. We will recruit the staff with technical
expertise or may train them," he said.
The health camp was jointly organised by Yashoda Super
Speciality Hospital and the CBI Academy here.
The CBI Director also interacted with the batch of about
35 bank officers and two batches of sub-inspectors, who are
undergoing training at the Academy.
Senior officials including Balwinder Singh, Additional
Director and Rishi Raj Singh, Joint Director, CBI, Mumbai,
were also present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi