Tahawwur Hussain Rana’s `pre-trial conference` tomorrow
Chicago: Pakistani-Canadian terror suspect Tahawwur Hussain Rana, charged with involvement in the Mumbai attacks, is set to appear before a US court here on Monday for a "pre-trial conference" during which federal prosecutors would discuss classified information relating to his case.
The pre-trial conference -- scheduled before US Judge
Harry Leinenweber in the US District court, Northern District
of Illinois -- will be a partly private meeting and Rana would
not be required to be present throughout the hearing.
Rana would "appear in court only when he is entitled to
be present," US attorney in Chicago Patrick Fitzgerald said.
Federal prosecutors would discuss classified information
that may be used during the trial of 49-year-old Rana, a
This would be Rana`s first court appearance after
co-accused and Pakistani-American LeT operative David Coleman
Headley pleaded guilty on March 18 to plotting the Mumbai
Rana has pleaded not guilty since his October 2009 arrest
and claimed that he was duped by Headley.
However, according to Headley`s plea agreement, he shared
with Rana details of his trips to Pakistan and his association
with LeT. In turn, Rana extensively helped him carry out the
attacks in Mumbai.
Rana also allowed Headley to use his immigration office
as a cover while he scouted for terror targets in Mumbai, the
plea agreement stated.
Rana has also repeatedly been denied bail on the grounds
that he is a flight risk.
Tomorrow`s hearing would set in motion the process of
examining classified information in the case.
The pre-trial conference will discuss the amount and type
of classified information that may be used during Rana`s
Rana`s lawyer Patrick Blegen has not commented on how
Headley`s guilty plea will affect Rana`s case.
The government has indicated that there exists voluminous
discovery in the case, much of which is covered by the
Classified Information Procedures Act, which is essentially a
procedural tool for a court to address the relevance of
classified information before it may be introduced for trial.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview