Tahawwur Rana had stayed in a hotel in Kochi: DGP
Kochi: Kerala police on Saturday said terror
suspect Tahawwur Rana, arrested by the FBI for his role in
terror attacks in India, had stayed in a hotel here for two
days in November 2008.
While "there are no indications that US citizen David
Headley visited Kerala, we have every reason to believe that
the person who stayed in the hotel was Rana," DGP Jacob
Punnnose told a news agency.
His passport and other emigration records point to this
Punnnose said the purpose of Rana`s visit was under
investigation. "Whatever information is being collected by
state police is being passed onto the National Investigation
Agency (NIA)," he told reporters earlier.
David Headley, 49-year-old Pakistan-born US citizen, was
arrested in Chicago last month by FBI, which said he was part
of an LeT plan to carry out terror attacks in various places
Police here had conducted a massive search in hotels to
find out if Headley had visited Kerala, during which they
stumbled upon records of `various Ranas`.
Rana, who came to Kochi with a woman on November 16 last
year and left for Mumbai the next day posing as an emigration
consultant, was arrested along with Headley.
On media reports that an LeT suspect had arrived in
Kochi, Punnnose said there was no such information so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- PM Modi congratulates new Kerala CM
- Jharkhand Maoists torch 35 vehicles in 150 days; contractors panic
- Loyalty declaration on stamp paper a symbol of slavery: BJP
- Militants kill cop, snatch weapon from another in Kashmir
- Arms training: Bajrang Dal's Ayodhya chief Mahesh Mishra arrested over charges of inciting religious hatred