Taj Corridor case: SC issues notice to Mayawati
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday sought the response of former UP Chief Minister Mayawati on a plea seeking her prosecution in the Rs 17 crore Taj corridor scam case without the sanction of the Governor.
"We will examine the case," a bench comprising justices HL Dattu and Ranjan Gogoi said.
The court also issued notice to the Centre, the CBI and the Uttar Pradesh government on a petition challenging a judgement of Allahabad High Court giving relief to the BSP chief.
The bench also issued notice to Mayawati`s former Cabinet colleague Naseemuddin Siddiqui and sought his response in the case.
The bench was hearing a batch of appeals against the November 5, 2012 judgement of the Allahabad High Court.=
The petitioners have contended that the prosecution can be launched against them without sanction of the Governor.
Senior advocate K K Venugopal said this was for the fourth time such a contention has been raised.
The high court in its judgement had dismissed a batch of petitions seeking prosecution of the BSP supremo in the Taj corridor case, holding they are devoid of merit.
The Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court had upheld the June 2007 order of the special CBI court which dropped the criminal proceedings against Mayawati and Siddiqui for want of Governor T V Rajeswar`s sanction to prosecute them.
In 2002, Mayawati launched the corridor project to beautify areas near the Taj Mahal. A year later, the Supreme Court had directed the CBI conduct an enquiry into the alleged scam in the Taj corridor project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand