Taj Corridor case: SC issues notice to Mayawati
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday sought the response of former UP Chief Minister Mayawati on a plea seeking her prosecution in the Rs 17 crore Taj corridor scam case without the sanction of the Governor.
"We will examine the case," a bench comprising justices HL Dattu and Ranjan Gogoi said.
The court also issued notice to the Centre, the CBI and the Uttar Pradesh government on a petition challenging a judgement of Allahabad High Court giving relief to the BSP chief.
The bench also issued notice to Mayawati`s former Cabinet colleague Naseemuddin Siddiqui and sought his response in the case.
The bench was hearing a batch of appeals against the November 5, 2012 judgement of the Allahabad High Court.=
The petitioners have contended that the prosecution can be launched against them without sanction of the Governor.
Senior advocate K K Venugopal said this was for the fourth time such a contention has been raised.
The high court in its judgement had dismissed a batch of petitions seeking prosecution of the BSP supremo in the Taj corridor case, holding they are devoid of merit.
The Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court had upheld the June 2007 order of the special CBI court which dropped the criminal proceedings against Mayawati and Siddiqui for want of Governor T V Rajeswar`s sanction to prosecute them.
In 2002, Mayawati launched the corridor project to beautify areas near the Taj Mahal. A year later, the Supreme Court had directed the CBI conduct an enquiry into the alleged scam in the Taj corridor project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price