Take action against those who demolished Dalit homes: Chidambaram
Sivaganga (TN): Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Sunday asked officials to take action against those responsible for demolishing houses of 28 Dalit families, including five built under Indira Awas Yojana at Pappankulam in the district last month on the grounds they encroached a public road.
The minister, who visited the area, spoke to the affected families and also Tahsildar and Revenue officials.
The Sirukudi Panchayat had demolished the houses on August 15 and 18 alleging it was constructed after encroaching a public road.
Chidambaram said these houses should have been built on patta land and noted the demolition took place in the presence of the Panchayat President and her husband with police help.
Though the District Collector had suspended three officials over the incident, "action should be taken against all who were responsible for it", he said.
He thanked the Tamil Nadu government for distributing relief to the affected families, but said the amount was inadequate.
"The amount is not enough. Besides giving additional compensation, the government should build new houses for them", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations