Take coalition lessons from us: Shinde tells BJP
New Delhi: The BJP should take lessons from the UPA in managing coalition governments, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said in the Lok Sabha Wednesday.
"You should take lessons from us on managing coalition governments," Shinde told the BJP members during a brief discussion on the Jan 18 proclamation issued by President Pranab Mukhejee imposing central rule in Jharkhand under Article 356(1) of the constitution.
"We don`t favour a permanent Congress government in the state. What can we do if your government falls," he said.
Citing the example of the prime minister, Shinde said Manmohan Singh was facing pressure (of heading a coalition government) but was managing the issues with ease.
The house adopted the resolution approving the proclamation in the state which is known for political instability and has seen eight governments since 2000.
Earlier, the state was placed under president`s rule in 2009 and 2010.
The latest political crisis erupted Jan 8 when the BJP`s ruling coalition partner Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) wrote to the governor formally withdrawing its support to the 28-month-old government of Chief Minister Arjun Munda.
Munda resigned and sought the dissolution of the assembly to avoid horse trading.
The president had acted on the advice of the union cabinet, which recommended central rule based on Jharkhand Governor Syed Ahmed`s report.
According to Shinde, the UPA was not happy in prolonging president`s rule in the state.
"We are not happy to prolong president`s rule. The governor tried to form the government for three days," said Shinde.
Stating that the centre wanted to protect tribals in Jharkhand, the home minister urged the BJP to come forward and form a government.
"If you can form a government, then do it," he said.
The Congress had explored formation of the government with JMM but chose to stay away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview