Take efforts to bring down mortality rate: Kalam
Coimbatore: Former president Dr APJ Abdul Kalam on Saturday night urged the medical fraternity to take efforts to bring down the Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR), which was comparatively high in India.
"High MMR which is preventable represents violation of women`s rights," Kalam, said during an interactive session held at Women`s Centre here tonight.
While admitting it as a vital indicator of development of a country and an issue of human rights, Kalam termed high MMR as a disturbing factor as India stood at 142nd position out of 176 countries.
Stating that he wanted the rate to come down by 75 per cent in the next ten years, Kalam also pointed out the steep increase in the number of women undergoing caesarian session for delivery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’