Take efforts to bring down mortality rate: Kalam
Coimbatore: Former president Dr APJ Abdul Kalam on Saturday night urged the medical fraternity to take efforts to bring down the Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR), which was comparatively high in India.
"High MMR which is preventable represents violation of women`s rights," Kalam, said during an interactive session held at Women`s Centre here tonight.
While admitting it as a vital indicator of development of a country and an issue of human rights, Kalam termed high MMR as a disturbing factor as India stood at 142nd position out of 176 countries.
Stating that he wanted the rate to come down by 75 per cent in the next ten years, Kalam also pointed out the steep increase in the number of women undergoing caesarian session for delivery.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis