Take efforts to bring down mortality rate: Kalam
Coimbatore: Former president Dr APJ Abdul Kalam on Saturday night urged the medical fraternity to take efforts to bring down the Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR), which was comparatively high in India.
"High MMR which is preventable represents violation of women`s rights," Kalam, said during an interactive session held at Women`s Centre here tonight.
While admitting it as a vital indicator of development of a country and an issue of human rights, Kalam termed high MMR as a disturbing factor as India stood at 142nd position out of 176 countries.
Stating that he wanted the rate to come down by 75 per cent in the next ten years, Kalam also pointed out the steep increase in the number of women undergoing caesarian session for delivery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Nautanki, full drama CM': Arvind Kejriwal tweets praising a movie; Twitter explodes with hilarious reactions
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump calls Hillary Clinton 'world-class liar' as war of words intensifies
- United Nations criticizes repression in Bahrain, urges dialogue
- North Korea leader Kim Jong-Un says missile test a success, threat to US
- Brexit: UK goes to polls in knife-edge EU referendum; over 46 million people to decide Britain's fate