Take note of the pain from some sections of society in J&K: Sonia
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday expressed satisfaction over "remarkable progress" made in Jammu and Kashmir in the last few years but emphasized the need to "take note of the cry of pain and anguish" emanating from some sections of the society in the state.
Addressing a meeting of the Congress Parliamentary party, Gandhi said economic development has gathered pace in the state and a number of popular training and placement programmes have been started.
Rahul Gandhi had taken a delegation of industrialists to the Valley some time ago vowing to resolve the problem of unemployment in the state.
"In Jammu and Kashmir, we have made remarkable progress in the last few years under the leadership and personal interest taken by our Prime Minister...The launch of rail services in the Valley is an example of how much infrastructure and connectivity have expanded...Tourism has been flourishing," Gandhi said.
The Congress president noted that a more trusting atmosphere had been in the making until it was interrupted by certain incidents and the terrorist attack on a CRPF camp in Srinagar.
"Yet, we should take note of the cry of pain and anguish emanating from some sections of society there. We will continue to work for peace and normalcy and development in all regions of the state in right earnest," Gandhi said.
Extending her heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families of the victims of the recent terror strikes in Srinagar and Hyderabad, she said these incidents show that "we simply cannot lower our vigil".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter