Take note of the pain from some sections of society in J&K: Sonia
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday expressed satisfaction over "remarkable progress" made in Jammu and Kashmir in the last few years but emphasized the need to "take note of the cry of pain and anguish" emanating from some sections of the society in the state.
Addressing a meeting of the Congress Parliamentary party, Gandhi said economic development has gathered pace in the state and a number of popular training and placement programmes have been started.
Rahul Gandhi had taken a delegation of industrialists to the Valley some time ago vowing to resolve the problem of unemployment in the state.
"In Jammu and Kashmir, we have made remarkable progress in the last few years under the leadership and personal interest taken by our Prime Minister...The launch of rail services in the Valley is an example of how much infrastructure and connectivity have expanded...Tourism has been flourishing," Gandhi said.
The Congress president noted that a more trusting atmosphere had been in the making until it was interrupted by certain incidents and the terrorist attack on a CRPF camp in Srinagar.
"Yet, we should take note of the cry of pain and anguish emanating from some sections of society there. We will continue to work for peace and normalcy and development in all regions of the state in right earnest," Gandhi said.
Extending her heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families of the victims of the recent terror strikes in Srinagar and Hyderabad, she said these incidents show that "we simply cannot lower our vigil".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read