Take off shoes, belts, jewellery for airport security check?
New Delhi: Flying out of Delhi? You may soon be asked to take off your shoes and belts, and jewellery if you are wearing, at the security check counters of the IGI Airport.
The Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) is in the process of putting in place tighter security check norms like this, in line with those in the US and Europe, following higher threat perception, official sources said.
However, it may take a few more weeks as the required technology, like sophisticated door-frame metal detectors, is still not in place at all counters of the airport, they said.
If shoes, clothing items or other accessories containing metal set off an alarm, the security screener would insist on further checks, including pat-down frisking.
The sources, however, discounted the possibility of further delays the tighter security screening would cause by adding to the time by which a passenger can get into the aircraft.
They said the metal detectors would allow passengers not having any metal on their person to pass through without a pat-down.
Currently, its takes around two to three minutes for the Central Industrial Security Forces (CISF) personnel to clear a person during the security check but with implementation of the new proposal, this is likely to increase to 5-7 minutes, an airline official said.
BCAS had recently carried out a trial run of the system at Terminal 1D to access the problems that may crop up when the system is put in place, but the official sources said the response was not good as proper infrastructure was lacking.
In the US and Europe, passengers are required to take off their shoes, belts, all metallic objects, mobile phones and other electronic items in a separate tray before passing through the metal detectors.
Similarly, the fliers here would soon have to put all their belongings and cabin baggage in a tray along with the footwear when they pass through the metal detector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo