`Take steps to protect strategic monazite reserve`
New Delhi: Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy on Friday demanded that steps should be taken to protect and conserve strategic reserves of monazite sands in south India a major source of thorium.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Swamy claimed there have been some cases of illicit exports of such sands from southern India and cases in this regard have been pending in courts.
"Protection of the strategic mineral sands should be entrusted to a joint command of Central Paramilitary or better still Armed Forces to overcome the present intolerable situation of private mafias controlling access," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY