`Take steps to protect strategic monazite reserve`
New Delhi: Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy on Friday demanded that steps should be taken to protect and conserve strategic reserves of monazite sands in south India a major source of thorium.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Swamy claimed there have been some cases of illicit exports of such sands from southern India and cases in this regard have been pending in courts.
"Protection of the strategic mineral sands should be entrusted to a joint command of Central Paramilitary or better still Armed Forces to overcome the present intolerable situation of private mafias controlling access," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Swachh Bharat mission fails March 2016 urban-trash targets
- Land reforms fail, 5% of India’s farmers control 32 percent land
- Five indicators of India's looming demographic disaster
- 13 Indians died in Pakistan jails since 2013, India calls for thorough investigation
- 'Invisible hand' behind inaction of CBI, ED in AgustaWestland probe, says Manohar Parrikar in Rajya Sabha