`Take steps to protect strategic monazite reserve`
New Delhi: Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy on Friday demanded that steps should be taken to protect and conserve strategic reserves of monazite sands in south India a major source of thorium.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Swamy claimed there have been some cases of illicit exports of such sands from southern India and cases in this regard have been pending in courts.
"Protection of the strategic mineral sands should be entrusted to a joint command of Central Paramilitary or better still Armed Forces to overcome the present intolerable situation of private mafias controlling access," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her