Take up issue of persecution: NHRC tells Myanmar
New Delhi: The NHRC has asked its Myanmar counterpart to take up with their government the issue of migration from their country to India due to reported fear of systematic persecution at the hands of the ruling junta.
NHRC`s concerns about the issue were flagged during a meeting yesterday with a visiting delegation of Myanmar National Human Rights Commission led by its Chairman Win Mra.
Commission Chairperson Justice KG Balakrishnan and members interacted with the visiting delegates.
Win assured NHRC that he would take up the matter with his government for consideration of action on the issue.
It has been reported that refugees from Myanmar take shelter in India due to the alleged fear of extensive and systematic persecution by the ruling junta.
It is not the first time that national human rights institutions have shown interest in the burning issues of neighbouring countries.
During a visit to Dhaka in 2010, the NHRC chairpeson has brought to notice the matter of several neglected Indian prisoners in Bangladesh prisons, languishing even after serving their sentence. Following the intervention of Ministry of External Affairs, 59 prisoners were freed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next