Taking credit for quota bill, Mayawati says she fought hard
New Delhi: BSP chief Mayawati on Monday sought to take credit for passage of bill providing SC/ST quota in promotions in government jobs in the Rajya Sabha, saying it has achieved after a "hard fight".
"If we had not fought hard for it, then perhaps we could not have achieved what we got today. We are feeling good today and our supporters also must be feeling so. I want to thank both the Government and the Opposition on behalf of my party," she told reporters here.
Talking to reporters outside the Parliament House complex, she expressed hope that the Bill would be approved by the Lok Sabha also.
"I want to request all the parties including the UPA and its allies, the BJP and all the NDA allies to get this bill cleared in the Lok Sabha also," she said.
The Bill, which was being opposed by the Samajwadi Party, and over which the House was adjourned frequently, could be moved for discussion only after Mayawati strongly put across her demands before the Chairman last week.
Mayawati also attacked the Samajwadi Party for suggesting that quota was benefitting only a few SC/ST castes saying there were a large number of backward castes in UP but "only the Yadavs were benefitting".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray