Talaq uttered on cellphone valid, says fatwa
Deoband: Talaq uttered thrice by a Muslim
man on a mobile phone will be considered valid even if his
wife is unable to hear it all the three times due to network
and other problems, a fresh fatwa has ruled.
The fatwa was given by Darul-Ifta, the fatwa department
of leading Sunni Islamic seminary Dar-ul-Uloom Deoband, in
reply to a query by a man.
The man in his query had asked that in case no witness
was present when he utters talaq thrice to his wife over phone
whether it would be considered valid or not.
"I angrily said talaq three times to my wife on cell
phone but she claimed that she didn`t hear it even once and
nobody was around both of us. Please tell me whether talaq
has taken place," he asked.
In its reply, Dar-ul-Ifta said, "If you have given three
talaqs to your wife, all the three took place and she became
haram (forbidden) for you."
The fatwa said the woman will be free to marry anywhere
she likes after her iddat (three month period after divorce)
"It is not necessary for talaq to take place that the
wife hears it or the witnesses are present," it ruled.
In October, the seminary had ruled that saying talaq
three times even on a humourous note is valid as per the
Sharia (Islamic Law) and the marriage stands nullified.
A youth in his query had stated that while chatting with
his wife over net he had jokingly punched talaq thrice.
Claiming to have less knowledge about Islam, the youth
said he didn`t know how talaq is executed.
The youth had stated that he was happily living with his
wife and wanted to live with her in future as well.
Darul-Ifta in its reply had said once talaq is put out
three times it amounts to divorce and her wife was "haraam"
The fatwa section in its reply stated that in the
process it does not matter whether the man had enough
knowledge of Islam or not.
Under such circumstances the youth was neither allowed
to take his wife nor to marry her again, it stated, adding
now she would be required to go through nikah "halalah".
As per the ruling, the woman would be required to
complete iddat period after which she would be required to
marry another man.
The woman would be then required to divorce her second
husband and go through iddat period again.
"Then only the woman would be allowed to re-marry her
former husband," it stated.
"When you gave three talaqs, all the three took place.
No matter whether the woman gives talaq or not. Your wife
became haram for you whether you are aware of the commandments
of Islam more or less," the fatwa read.
"Neither you have the right to take her back nor
solemnise new nikah without a valid nikah halalah. After the
completion of iddat period, the woman can marry where she
wishes except you," it said, citing references from the books
such as Bukhari and Fatawa al-Hindiyah etc.
Senior mufti of Dar-ul-Uloom Waqf Arif Kasmi said that
under Sharia talaq even if made out in a lighter vein amounts
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo