Taliban trained fidayeen enter metros, PM holds security meet
New Delhi: Three metros-- Kolkata, Mumbai
and Delhi--and Gujarat state were put on high terror alert
today following intelligence inputs that Taliban-trained
`suicide` squads have sneaked into these places to attack
The seriousness of the situation could be gauged from the fact that PM Manmohan Singh called a security meet in view of the situation. Home Minister P Chidambaram, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Defence Minister AK Antony and the chiefs of Intelligence Bureau and RAW were present at the meeting.
Bhaba Atomic Research Centre(BARC) and Bombay Stock
Exchange, both in Mumbai as well as US Consulate in Kolkata
are high on the radar of the `fidayeens` (suicide squads), a
top Union Home Ministry official said today.
RSS headquarters in Nagpur, Kolkata Port and some
unidentified defence establishments are also among the likely
targets of the "Pashtoon-looking" terrorists, the official
The official said that just a few days before the
terrorists sneaked into the country some "facilitator" had
visited Mumbai to do a recce and to provide information about
the possible hotels and guest houses where the terrorists
The official said instructions have been issued to
authorities concerned to tighten security in and around these
installations that may be targeted by the terrorists.
According to intelligence inputs, the World Cup Hockey,
scheduled to be held in Delhi in February, and some civilian
targets in Gujarat could also be targeted by these terrorists
who have entered the country with the help of Pakistan-based
terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba(LeT).
The Home Ministry has already alerted governments of
Maharashtra, West Bengal, Gujarat and the Delhi Police to take
necessary measures to beef up security in potential targets
and intensify patrolling, especially in airports, railway
stations, bus terminals and hotels, the official said.
In Kolkata, West Bengal Home Secretary Ardhendu Sen said
though no specific target has been mentioned in the
intelligence input, "we are keeping extra vigil and have
strengthened force deployment in all public places like
railway stations, airport, shopping malls and other areas".
Sen said the Centre`s note was received on December 12, a
day before the eighth anniversary of Parliament attack by
terrorists, prompting the state government to sound general
alert throughout the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt