Talks end, India hands over new terror dossier to Pak
New Delhi: The crucial talks between the foreign secretaries of India and Pakistan ended Thursday despite lack of optimism on reaching common ground on key issues.
As per reports, India has demanded more action to curb terrorism that emanates from Pakistan and strongly pitched for the arrest of Jamaat-ud-Dawaah chief Hafiz Saeed – the mastermind of 26/11 attacks.
Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao first had a one-on-one with her Pakistani counterpart Salman Bashir and later, the two sides held delegation level talks.
During the deliberations, India has also reportedly handed over a fresh dossier on 26/11, which contains the voice records of the Mumbai attack culprits. The dossier also purportedly contains a fresh list of terror suspects – including the details about the mastermind of the Pune attack.
India has, expectedly, raised the issue of the killing of Sikhs in North West Frontier Province (NWFP).
Pakistan on the other hand - apart from raking up its claim of Indian hand in the insurgency in Balochistan - put the Kashmir issue on the table once again.
However, the likelihood of a joint statement after the talks is remote, given the deep differences between the stated positions of the two countries.
Besides Rao, the Indian team included India`s High Commissioner to Islamabad Sharat Sabharwal, joint secretary in charge of Pakistan YK Sinha, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Vishnu Prakash and other officials of the MEA.
The Pakistani delegation comprised Afrasiab, director-general of the South Asia division and a former deputy high commissioner to India, Pakistan`s High Commissioner Shahid Malik, Pakistan`s Foreign Office spokesperson Abdul Basit and other senior officials.
The Pakistani delegation is also scheduled to call on External Affairs Minister SM Krishna and National Security Adviser Shiv Shankar Menon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH