Talks end, India hands over new terror dossier to Pak
New Delhi: The crucial talks between the foreign secretaries of India and Pakistan ended Thursday despite lack of optimism on reaching common ground on key issues.
As per reports, India has demanded more action to curb terrorism that emanates from Pakistan and strongly pitched for the arrest of Jamaat-ud-Dawaah chief Hafiz Saeed – the mastermind of 26/11 attacks.
Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao first had a one-on-one with her Pakistani counterpart Salman Bashir and later, the two sides held delegation level talks.
During the deliberations, India has also reportedly handed over a fresh dossier on 26/11, which contains the voice records of the Mumbai attack culprits. The dossier also purportedly contains a fresh list of terror suspects – including the details about the mastermind of the Pune attack.
India has, expectedly, raised the issue of the killing of Sikhs in North West Frontier Province (NWFP).
Pakistan on the other hand - apart from raking up its claim of Indian hand in the insurgency in Balochistan - put the Kashmir issue on the table once again.
However, the likelihood of a joint statement after the talks is remote, given the deep differences between the stated positions of the two countries.
Besides Rao, the Indian team included India`s High Commissioner to Islamabad Sharat Sabharwal, joint secretary in charge of Pakistan YK Sinha, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Vishnu Prakash and other officials of the MEA.
The Pakistani delegation comprised Afrasiab, director-general of the South Asia division and a former deputy high commissioner to India, Pakistan`s High Commissioner Shahid Malik, Pakistan`s Foreign Office spokesperson Abdul Basit and other senior officials.
The Pakistani delegation is also scheduled to call on External Affairs Minister SM Krishna and National Security Adviser Shiv Shankar Menon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’