Talks fail, Maruti strike enters 10th day
New Delhi: The strike at Maruti Suzuki`s plant at Manesar in Haryana continued for the 10th day Monday as talks between workers and management failed to resolve the deadlock over the creation of a second workers` union.
"The strike is still on, even after it was banned and termed illegal by the Haryana government. But we are still engaged in talks and ready to discuss all issues," a senior Maruti Suzuki official said.
According to the official, the production halt will cost the company a volume loss of around 9,000 cars, including 600 units on the first day of the strike June 4.
The total loss has been pegged at around Rs.280 crore (over USD 65 million).
Maruti Suzuki India chairman RC Bhargava said, "our stand is clear. The strike is illegal. Even the Haryana government and the labour commission have said the same. Still we will continue to talk."
He added that no intimation or notice was given to the management, which makes the strike illegal.
Bhargava added that the halt in production will have a short-term impact.
"Currently, dealers have enough stock of petrol-segment cars for some 28 days, while a short-term effect may be felt for some diesel variants, which in itself is only 20 percent of our entire portfolio," he said.
The company`s facility at Manesar produces its bestseller hatchbacks and sedans like the Swift, Swift Dzire, A-Star and SX4.
The majority of the automobile giant`s production takes place at its remaining three plants in Gurgaon district.
According to the company, the strike has the support of around 2,000-odd workers, of whom 11 were sacked Monday for demanding recognition of a separate workers` union.
Earlier, the management drew support from the Haryana government which Friday banned the strike.
Members of other workers` unions supporting the agitation said the Punjab and Haryana High Court may be approached soon, as forming a union was a legitimate right of workers.
"It is our right to form a union. About 40 local unions have joined us. We are going to conduct a meeting with all of them to decide the future course of action, which includes approaching the high court," said Anil Kumar, general secretary of All India Trade Union Congress (AITUC).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now