Talks on Kudankulam plant during Russian Dy PM`s visit
New Delhi: India and Russia will be holding talks on Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KNPP) 3 and 4 when Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin will come here to attend Indo-Russian Inter-Governmental Commission next week.
Rogozin and External Affairs Minister S M Krishna will co-chair the meeting of the Indo-Russian Inter-Governmental Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific, Technological and Cultural Cooperation (IRIGC-TEC) on October 15, official spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs said.
Being held ahead of Russian President Vladimir Putin`s visit, the two ministers will also set the agenda for the annual summit talks between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Putin on November one.
The Commission will review the progress made by Joint Working Groups on various issues, including trade and economy, energy, science and technology. Bilateral trade increased to USD 8.8 billion last year. The two sides are looking to scale up ties to USD 20 billion by 2015.
Asked if the two ministers will discuss the KNPP III and IV, Akbaruddin said though, the issue was not part of the Commission Meeting, but the two leaders will discuss entire gamut of bilateral ties which will include the deliberations on this also.
With differences in perception over India`s civil nuclear liability law, the negotiations on the units III and IV of the KNPP have become a point of contention.
While Russia argues that the civil nuclear liability law should not apply to these units as the agreement on them predates the 2010 civil liability law, and could be seen as "grandfathered" by the original 1988 agreement, India has made it clear that making an exception for Russia will amount to diluting its civil nuclear law which will encourage the US and France to seek similar exemptions, which it cannot afford.
The estimated cost of units III and IV is USD 6.4 billion, of which USD 3.4 billion will be taken care of by Russian state credits.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference