Talks on Sir Creek begin between India, Pak
New Delhi: The 12th round of talks between Pakistan and India on their maritime boundary dispute in the Sir Creek region began here on Monday.
Indian delegation is led by S Subba Rao, Surveyor General, while Pakistani group is headed by Rear Admiral Farrokh Ahmed, Additional Secretary-III in the Ministry of Defence.
The two-day talks on the Sir Creek issue between officials from the Defence Ministries of the two sides are being held a week after the meeting on another important issue of Siachen Glacier which failed to make any headway. Both the countries reiterated their positions on the issue.
The Indo-Pak talks on Sir Creek were initially scheduled for mid-May this year but had to be postponed after the Pakistani side insisted that Siachen should be discussed first, apparently to see how far New Delhi was serious in resolving the issue which is seen as "doable" by both the sides.
Pakistan and India held their last meeting on Sir Creek in Rawalpindi on May 20 and 21 last year and discussed the Pakistan-India land boundary in Sir Creek area and the delimitation of International Maritime Boundary between the two countries.
Sir Creek is a 96-km strip of water that is disputed between India and Pakistan in the Rann of Kutch marshlands. The creek, which opens into the Arabian Sea, divides the Kutch region of Gujarat and the Sindh province of Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened