Talks on sugarcane pricing at all-party meet fail
New Delhi: Discussions on sugarcane pricing remained "inconclusive" at an all-party meeting, which was called to ensure smooth functioning of Parliament.
Parliament after both Houses remained paralysed for the first two days of the winter session over the issue.
The issue of sugarcane pricing dominated the meeting, in which top leaders of the ruling and opposition parties were present.
"Discussions remained inconclusive (on sugarcane). Sharad Pawar has been asked to convene another meeting tomorrow noon to discuss the issue with the opposition leaders," CPI leader D Raja said when asked whether the government and the opposition have reached any unanimity on the matter.
Raja, at the same time, maintained that the government does not appear rigid on the issue and appears to have "an open mind" on it.
Insisting that the issue has to be seen in its totality, Raja said the opposition was hopeful of a resolution but added "it is for the government to come forward".
The meeting was attended among others by finance minister Pranab Mukherjee, Parliamentary affairs minister P K Bansal, NCP chief Sharad Pawar, Leader of the opposition L K Advani, Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley, SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, RLD chief Ajit Singh and RSP`s Abani Roy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- JNU shouts anti-nationalist slogans; nation questions intent
- Ishrat Jahan was LeT terrorist, reveals David Headley
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Siachen braveheart Lance Naik Hanumanthappa passes away
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches three new services for train passengers
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'