Talks on sugarcane pricing at all-party meet fail
New Delhi: Discussions on sugarcane pricing remained "inconclusive" at an all-party meeting, which was called to ensure smooth functioning of Parliament.
Parliament after both Houses remained paralysed for the first two days of the winter session over the issue.
The issue of sugarcane pricing dominated the meeting, in which top leaders of the ruling and opposition parties were present.
"Discussions remained inconclusive (on sugarcane). Sharad Pawar has been asked to convene another meeting tomorrow noon to discuss the issue with the opposition leaders," CPI leader D Raja said when asked whether the government and the opposition have reached any unanimity on the matter.
Raja, at the same time, maintained that the government does not appear rigid on the issue and appears to have "an open mind" on it.
Insisting that the issue has to be seen in its totality, Raja said the opposition was hopeful of a resolution but added "it is for the government to come forward".
The meeting was attended among others by finance minister Pranab Mukherjee, Parliamentary affairs minister P K Bansal, NCP chief Sharad Pawar, Leader of the opposition L K Advani, Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley, SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, RLD chief Ajit Singh and RSP`s Abani Roy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand