Talks on to bestow title of martyr on Chamel: Omar
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday said talks are being held with the Centre to bestow the title of martyr on Chamel Singh, who died in a Pakistani jail, and to award a compensation to his family.
"Talks are being held with Centre", Omar told reporters while replying to the question whether Chamel would be bestowed title of Martyr and a compensation be provided to his family at par with those given to the kin of Sarabjit Singh, who died after a brutal assault in Pakistani jail.
Family members of Chamel have demanded that he should also be bestowed with the title of a martyr and a compensation on the pattern of Sarabjit`s family.
"We appeal to the government of India that our father be accorded the title of a martyr," Deepak Singh, son of Chamel Singh had said.
Chamel, who hailed from a border hamlet of Pargwal in Akhnoor belt of Jammu, was beaten to death in Pakistan`s Kot Lakhpat jail on January 15 this year and his body was brought back here on March 13.
"We appeal to the government to facilitate our family in the same way as Sarabjit`s family has been done. Both Centre and state government should think about us," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says