Talks on to bestow title of martyr on Chamel: Omar
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday said talks are being held with the Centre to bestow the title of martyr on Chamel Singh, who died in a Pakistani jail, and to award a compensation to his family.
"Talks are being held with Centre", Omar told reporters while replying to the question whether Chamel would be bestowed title of Martyr and a compensation be provided to his family at par with those given to the kin of Sarabjit Singh, who died after a brutal assault in Pakistani jail.
Family members of Chamel have demanded that he should also be bestowed with the title of a martyr and a compensation on the pattern of Sarabjit`s family.
"We appeal to the government of India that our father be accorded the title of a martyr," Deepak Singh, son of Chamel Singh had said.
Chamel, who hailed from a border hamlet of Pargwal in Akhnoor belt of Jammu, was beaten to death in Pakistan`s Kot Lakhpat jail on January 15 this year and his body was brought back here on March 13.
"We appeal to the government to facilitate our family in the same way as Sarabjit`s family has been done. Both Centre and state government should think about us," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley