Talks with China fail, more troops may be sent to Ladakh
New Delhi: India and China on Tuesday failed to break the deadlock over the deep incursion by Chinese troops at Daulat Beg Oldi(DBO) sector in Ladakh at their second flag meeting and more Indian soldiers may be deployed in the area.
Sources here said the over three-hour-long meeting of Brigadier-level officers at Spanggur Gap in the Chusul sector did not produce any result as the Chinese troops refused to move out from the Indian territory. Brig BM Gupta and Senior Colonel Ayan Yanti led the respective sides.
The Chinese side maintained that the area where they have set up tented posts is part of their territory and denied any intrusion, they said.
India asked the Chinese side at the meeting to withdraw from DBO, which is at an altitude of 17,000 feet, and revert to status quo as was before the incursion, the sources said.
Sources said there was no positive response from the Chinese side and the matter continued to be deadlocked, the sources said.
At the meeting, the Chinese side raised objections to construction of bunkers by India at Phuktsey area and wanted the structures to be demolished.
Sources also said that India may ask for more flag meetings to resolve the issue and avoid any escalation in the situation. The first flag meeting was held on April 18.
Indian Army had earlier sent a team of Ladakh Scouts-- an Infantry regiment specialising in mountain warfare- to the DBO sector, manned by the troops of Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP)--soon after the incursion was detected.
Additional troops may be deployed in the area if the situation does not de-escalate and Chinese troops do not go back to their old position, sources said.
A platoon-strength contingent of China`s People`s Liberation Army (PLA) had come 10 km inside the Indian territory in Burthe in DBO sector on the night of April 15 and established a tented post there.
Details of the agreed position of the Line of Actual Control(LAC) were also shared by both the sides.
Transgressions in the Ladakh sector have taken place earlier also due to differences in perception of the LAC. The Defence Ministry had earlier also maintained that the LAC is not properly demarcated in some areas.
ITBP troops have also established a camp approximately 300 m opposite the Chinese location and is monitoring the development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise