Tamil issue: Can’t set timeline for SL govt, says Khurshid
New Delhi: Expressing deep concern on the condition of the Tamils in Sri Lanka, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said that the government of India is committed to ensure justice to them.
“I want to reiterate the commitment of the House to see the end of hostilities and the end of a very sad period in the history of Sri Lanka with which we are so closely related in terms of our neighbourhood…we are totally, utterly, committed to an outcome which will give justice to Tamil people of Sri Lanka,” Khurshid said in the Rajya Sabha.
“They are citizens of Sri Lanka and they must have equal participation and justice within the sovereign country of Sri Lanka,” he added.
Stressing on the need to fix accountability within Lanka for the alleged war crimes, he said, “It is very moving when any member talks about the manner in which human being were treated, how human rights were violated. We cannot adjudicate about the truth…. we have emphasised that accountability must take place. The only difference was whether the accountability should be enforced from outside or should come from inside.”
“When accountability comes from within then there is greater chance of sustainability of that accountability,” he opined.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!