Tamil issue: Can’t set timeline for SL govt, says Khurshid
New Delhi: Expressing deep concern on the condition of the Tamils in Sri Lanka, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said that the government of India is committed to ensure justice to them.
“I want to reiterate the commitment of the House to see the end of hostilities and the end of a very sad period in the history of Sri Lanka with which we are so closely related in terms of our neighbourhood…we are totally, utterly, committed to an outcome which will give justice to Tamil people of Sri Lanka,” Khurshid said in the Rajya Sabha.
“They are citizens of Sri Lanka and they must have equal participation and justice within the sovereign country of Sri Lanka,” he added.
Stressing on the need to fix accountability within Lanka for the alleged war crimes, he said, “It is very moving when any member talks about the manner in which human being were treated, how human rights were violated. We cannot adjudicate about the truth…. we have emphasised that accountability must take place. The only difference was whether the accountability should be enforced from outside or should come from inside.”
“When accountability comes from within then there is greater chance of sustainability of that accountability,” he opined.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!