Tamil issue: Can’t set timeline for SL govt, says Khurshid
New Delhi: Expressing deep concern on the condition of the Tamils in Sri Lanka, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said that the government of India is committed to ensure justice to them.
“I want to reiterate the commitment of the House to see the end of hostilities and the end of a very sad period in the history of Sri Lanka with which we are so closely related in terms of our neighbourhood…we are totally, utterly, committed to an outcome which will give justice to Tamil people of Sri Lanka,” Khurshid said in the Rajya Sabha.
“They are citizens of Sri Lanka and they must have equal participation and justice within the sovereign country of Sri Lanka,” he added.
Stressing on the need to fix accountability within Lanka for the alleged war crimes, he said, “It is very moving when any member talks about the manner in which human being were treated, how human rights were violated. We cannot adjudicate about the truth…. we have emphasised that accountability must take place. The only difference was whether the accountability should be enforced from outside or should come from inside.”
“When accountability comes from within then there is greater chance of sustainability of that accountability,” he opined.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video
- Power Series Conclave on 'Make in India' organised by The Dollar Business on Aug 24
- Warning message on banned sites: ISPs run into technical issue
- M&M launches DiGiSense platform to access vital vehicle info
- Oil falls amid supply glut, lower prospects of output freeze