Tamil issue: Can’t set timeline for SL govt, says Khurshid
New Delhi: Expressing deep concern on the condition of the Tamils in Sri Lanka, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said that the government of India is committed to ensure justice to them.
“I want to reiterate the commitment of the House to see the end of hostilities and the end of a very sad period in the history of Sri Lanka with which we are so closely related in terms of our neighbourhood…we are totally, utterly, committed to an outcome which will give justice to Tamil people of Sri Lanka,” Khurshid said in the Rajya Sabha.
“They are citizens of Sri Lanka and they must have equal participation and justice within the sovereign country of Sri Lanka,” he added.
Stressing on the need to fix accountability within Lanka for the alleged war crimes, he said, “It is very moving when any member talks about the manner in which human being were treated, how human rights were violated. We cannot adjudicate about the truth…. we have emphasised that accountability must take place. The only difference was whether the accountability should be enforced from outside or should come from inside.”
“When accountability comes from within then there is greater chance of sustainability of that accountability,” he opined.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'