Tamil issue: Can’t set timeline for SL govt, says Khurshid
New Delhi: Expressing deep concern on the condition of the Tamils in Sri Lanka, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said that the government of India is committed to ensure justice to them.
“I want to reiterate the commitment of the House to see the end of hostilities and the end of a very sad period in the history of Sri Lanka with which we are so closely related in terms of our neighbourhood…we are totally, utterly, committed to an outcome which will give justice to Tamil people of Sri Lanka,” Khurshid said in the Rajya Sabha.
“They are citizens of Sri Lanka and they must have equal participation and justice within the sovereign country of Sri Lanka,” he added.
Stressing on the need to fix accountability within Lanka for the alleged war crimes, he said, “It is very moving when any member talks about the manner in which human being were treated, how human rights were violated. We cannot adjudicate about the truth…. we have emphasised that accountability must take place. The only difference was whether the accountability should be enforced from outside or should come from inside.”
“When accountability comes from within then there is greater chance of sustainability of that accountability,” he opined.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered