Tarn Taran incident: Badal says guilty cops will be sacked
Chandigarh: Two days after a magisterial probe was ordered, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Thursday said the policemen found guilty of thrashing a girl in Tarn Taran will be dismissed from service.
"There is a system, it is wrong to beat a woman (and) this is against the policy of the state government. In the end after the probe, the cops, if found guilty, will be dismissed from service," Badal said here.
A 22-year-old girl and her father were allegedly thrashed by policemen when they sought action against some persons, who teased the girl and passed vulgar comments in full public view.
Terming the incident as unfortunate, Badal assured of "stringent action" against the culprits.
On the issue of proposed changes anti-rape legislation, he said strictest provisions should be made under it.
The government had ordered a magisterial probe into the incident and after preliminary investigations, the government had suspended two policemen for their alleged involvement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai