Tarun Tejpal behaving like a fugitive: Ex- home secretary RK Singh
New Delhi: Former home secretary RK Singh on Friday said Tehelka`s former editor-in-chief Tarun Tejpal is behaving like a fugitive by evading arrest in connection with the sexual assault case filed against him.
"Tejpal is behaving like a fugitive. There is a non-bailable warrant issued against him. If he evades arrest, then he will be declared an absconder and his property could be attached. So, this is not advisable to him. There will be a distress warrant issued against him," said Singh.
"As there is no other option available to him, he should surrender first, whether in front of the court, or the police. Afterwards, he should help the police in the investigation," Singh added.
"The mails sent by him, makes it a clear case of sexual harassment. The mails show the acceptance of offence," he said.
On Shoma Choudhary, who resigned as the managing editor of the Tehelka magazine, Singh said, "She should have played her role as a head of an organisation in a more fair-minded way. She did not provide protection to her colleague. Secondly, she had a legal obligation towards the victim and should have reported the matter to the police. Setting up an internal inquiry is not sufficient,"
Earlier, a team of the Goa police arrived at Tehelka founder Tarun Tejpal`s house in Delhi in an attempt to arrest him, but returned on finding that he was not there.
Tejpal, who has been accused of sexually assaulting a young colleague in Goa earlier his month, had reportedly sent a letter to the crime branch of the Goa Police seeking permission to appear before them on Saturday.
The Goa Police had on November 22 lodged an FIR against Tejpal under IPC sections 376 (rape), 376 (2)(K) (rape by a person of a woman in his custody taking advantage of his official position) and 354 (outraging modesty). Conviction under section 376 of IPC entails a maximum of life term in jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- UNBELIEVABLE BUT TRUE: In this Pakistani town, guns are cheaper than smartphones!
- Jacqueline Fernandez dates a superhero! Brand new poster of Tiger Shroff's 'A Flying Jatt' is super cute- See poster
- READ! Facts about the 'carpenter' Kusal Mendis who made history against Australia
- Shocking: MP police ask three accused to remove clothes in lock-up – Know what happens next
- Burhan Wani may have been spared, hints J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti