Tarun Tejpal behaving like a fugitive: Ex- home secretary RK Singh
New Delhi: Former home secretary RK Singh on Friday said Tehelka`s former editor-in-chief Tarun Tejpal is behaving like a fugitive by evading arrest in connection with the sexual assault case filed against him.
"Tejpal is behaving like a fugitive. There is a non-bailable warrant issued against him. If he evades arrest, then he will be declared an absconder and his property could be attached. So, this is not advisable to him. There will be a distress warrant issued against him," said Singh.
"As there is no other option available to him, he should surrender first, whether in front of the court, or the police. Afterwards, he should help the police in the investigation," Singh added.
"The mails sent by him, makes it a clear case of sexual harassment. The mails show the acceptance of offence," he said.
On Shoma Choudhary, who resigned as the managing editor of the Tehelka magazine, Singh said, "She should have played her role as a head of an organisation in a more fair-minded way. She did not provide protection to her colleague. Secondly, she had a legal obligation towards the victim and should have reported the matter to the police. Setting up an internal inquiry is not sufficient,"
Earlier, a team of the Goa police arrived at Tehelka founder Tarun Tejpal`s house in Delhi in an attempt to arrest him, but returned on finding that he was not there.
Tejpal, who has been accused of sexually assaulting a young colleague in Goa earlier his month, had reportedly sent a letter to the crime branch of the Goa Police seeking permission to appear before them on Saturday.
The Goa Police had on November 22 lodged an FIR against Tejpal under IPC sections 376 (rape), 376 (2)(K) (rape by a person of a woman in his custody taking advantage of his official position) and 354 (outraging modesty). Conviction under section 376 of IPC entails a maximum of life term in jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Warning message on banned sites: ISPs run into technical issue
- M&M launches DiGiSense platform to access vital vehicle info
- Oil falls amid supply glut, lower prospects of output freeze
- UN verified Dawood's Pak addresses, wife, father's name, aliases; high time it extradites him: MEA
- Injured Cristiano Ronaldo absent from Portugal squad for World Cup 2018 qualifying round