Tarun Tejpal seeks in-camera hearing of bail plea, court to announce verdict today
Zee Media Bureau
Panaji: A Goa court will announce its verdict on Friday on the application filed by Tehelka`s founder editor Tarun Tejpal yesterday seeking in-camera hearing of his bail petition.
Tejpal, who is accused of sexually assaulting a women journalist and his colleague, is presently in judicial custody in Sada sub-jail in Vasco, south Goa.
His lawyer moved the application for in-camera hearing before the district and sessions court when the case was on board for arguments on his bail plea.
The arguments on his petition demanding in-camera hearing were heard yesterday. The court will subsequently hear his bail petition.
While the prosecution opposed his application demanding in-camera hearing, it did not oppose the plea for presence of the accused in the court during the hearing.
50-year-old Tejpal, has been booked under IPC sections including 354-A (sexual harassment, physical contact, advances involving unwelcome and explicit sexual overtures, or any of the unwelcome physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of sexual nature), 376 (rape) and 376 (2)(k) (rape by a person of a woman in his custody taking advantage of his official position). The journalist is currently lodged in Sada sub-jail.
His lawyers had also moved a petition before the district court seeking his bail stating that "the accused has not been questioned by police since he was lodged in the judicial custody".
(with PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning