Task Force report on Nat security by year-end
New Delhi: The Task Force setup to review
national security is expected to submit its report by the end
of December in which the three defence services have demanded
for a greater role in making security-related decisions and
"The three services have already met the Task Force
headed by former bureaucrat Naresh Chandra and have expressed
their views. The report is expected to be submitted to the
government by December-end," sources said here.
Ten years after the Kargil war, the Task Force was
constituted under former Cabinet Secretary Naresh Chandra to
overhaul the national security apparatus by the National
It has been asked to review the issue of integration of
the three armed forces and the appointment of first among the
three service chiefs - a Chief of Defence Staff, a
recommendation by the Kargil Review Committee.
In the meetings with the task force, the three service
chiefs have asked the government to appoint service officers
in key appointments such as Joint Secretaries in the Defence
Ministry, sources said.
The three services also asked the government to create
separate departments for them in the Defence Ministry on the
lines of department of ex-servicemen welfare and defence
production, which have dedicated secretaries.
The armed forces have also demanded for a greater role in
media-related activities and the public information setup of
the Defence Ministry.
Before his retirement in July this year, former IAF Chief
Marshal P V Naik had written a letter directly to the Prime
Minister complaining of a lack of integration between the
three services and the Defence Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical