Task force to facilitate survey of higher education sector
New Delhi: Amid plans to conduct a pan-India survey of the higher education sector, the government has decided to set up a task force to carry forward the process and identify a surveyor.
The survey would cover higher educational institutions including universities, research bodies, statutory councils for higher education, state governments and other academic
bodies to get a proper perspective of the present status of higher education, said sources in the HRD Ministry.
Suggestions and opinions of experts and academicians would also be elicited during this exercise, they said.
The findings would help the government carry forward its reform agenda in this sector as it eyes to achieve the targeted gross enrolment ratio of 30 percent by 2020, they
At present, the gross enrolment ratio in the country is only 12.4 percent while developed economies like the US and Russia have an enrolment ratio of 82 percent and 75 percent
According to a report prepared by Ernst & Young in association with FICCI, spending in the higher education sector in the coming 10 years is projected to go up to Rs 1.50
lakh crore, up from 46,200 crore at present.
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal had earlier said the country would require 800 universities and 40,000 to 45,000 colleges to be built in 10 years to achieve its enrolment target.
The task force, sources said, would basically facilitate the survey, explore mechanism to conduct the exhaustive exercise and identify an implementation agency to execute it.
The 13-member task force would be headed by Additional Secretary in the Department of Higher Education under the ministry.
The information generated from the survey would also be critical for planning the growth and development of the sector keeping in mind the increasing requirement of quality human resources in driving the 21st century knowledge economy, the sources said.
The task force will submit its preliminary recommendations to the HRD Ministry to operationalise the survey within two months from the date of issue of the
notification in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal