Taslima arrives in India; whisked to unknown place
New Delhi: Controversial Bangladeshi writer
Taslima Nasrin, who was asked to leave India in March this
year, returned here in the wee hours of today and was whisked
away to an undisclosed destination in the Capital.
Taslima, who will turn 47 on August 25, has come in
connection with extension of her Indian visa which expires on
August 17, official sources said.
The writer, who has been a target of Islamic
fundamentalists, arrived at the Indira Gandhi International
Airport from a European country and was immediately whisked
away by security agencies to an undisclosed destination.
The future plans of the doctor-turned writer, who shot
to fame with her controversial book "Lajja", were not
immediately known. She has been requesting for permanent
residentship in the country but the government is yet to take
any decision on the issue.
Taslima had left India on March 18 last year for
Sweden after she was kept in a safe house in the national
capital for more than four months. Taslima, who had not been
allowed to see any visitors during the period, had described
her confinement as living in "a chamber of death".
She came back in February this year but was asked to leave
India because of impending general elections in the country
and visa was granted to her till August 17. Earlier, she was
dramatically bundled out from West Bengal in November 2007.
The papers for extending visa of Taslima had been moved
and the nod for the extension was likely to be given by the
government soon, sources said. The sources said they were
awaiting Government`s order over the future course of action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi