Tata Motors move SC on Singur land issue
New Delhi: Tata Motors on Tuesday approached the
Supreme Court accusing West Bengal government of enacting a
law in a haste to take over land in Singur alloted to it for
its Nano car project and using police force illegally to take
back possesion of the plot.
The Tata`s, which yesterday failed to get any relief
from the Calcutta High Court, has challenged the Singur Land
Rehabilitation and Development (SLRD) Act, passed by the state
assembly for taking back possession of the land and
distributing it among farmers who owned them before the
acquisition by the previous Left Front government.
Tata`s have filed the appeals against the orders of the
High Court which rejected its plea to restrain the state
government from taking back possession and distribution of
land to farmers.
The petitions, which said the state government was
allegedly indulging in "colourable exercise of power" on
Singur land issue, was mentioned before a vacation bench
comprising justices P Sathasivam and A K Patnaik which decided
to hear them tomorrow.
While mentioning the matter, the counsel, appearing
for Tata, submitted the automobile company is seeking a
direction to restrain West Bengal government from creating
any third party interest on the disputed land.
The Tata`s alleged the state government has been
"illegaly" taking possession of land by using police
The company said that in view of "vandalism" and
"looting" of goods at the factory site, the land should be
returned immediately to Tata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened