Tatra case: CBI questions former BEML chairman
New Delhi: The CBI on Saturday questioned former BEML chairman and managing director TVS Shastri here in connection with the Tatra all-terrain vehicle supply deal.
Shastri who preceded present chairman VRS Natarajan came to the CBI Headquarters in the morning and answered queries of the sleuths till evening, CBI sources said.
Sources said Shastri was questioned on the agreements on technology transfer for manufacturing all-terrain trucks from Tatra which are known to have unique axle technology allowing it to conquer almost any terrain.
The agency is probing alleged irregularities in assigning supply from the Czechoslovakia-based Tatra, with which the agreement was originally signed in 1986, to the Tatra-Sipox UK owned by Rishi in 1997 showing it as Original Equipment Manufacturer and the fully-owned subsidiary of the Czech company, they said.
A CBI spokesperson said this was against the provisions of Defence Procurement Procedure for supplying the vehicles to Indian Army on the basis of the orders placed by the Ministry of Defence.
"It is further alleged that in this manner, vehicles worth thousands of crores of rupees have been supplied to the Indian Army. In continuation of the aforesaid conspiracy to cause undue benefit to the UK-based company, the unknown officials of the Defence PSU allowed change of currency from US Dollar to Euro and further by not levying the Liquidated damages caused further loss of Rs 13.27 crores", the CBI said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Swedish court upholds Julian Assange arrest warrant
- IPL 9: Ashish Nehra undergoes knee surgery in London; cricketers wish for speedy recovery
- Left comeback in Kerala: Pinarayi Vijayan takes oath as 12th Chief Minister
- Kuch toh gadbad hai! CID taking a short break?
- Zydus Cadila gets USFDA's final nod for fungal treatment drug