Tatra deal: CBI grills Lt Gen Tejinder Singh
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of controversy over Tatra truck deal and bribery allegations made by Army Chief Gen VK Singh, the CBI on Wednesday grilled retired Lt Gen Tejinder Singh for the first time for his alleged role in the case.
Singh, who was questioned at the CBI headquarters, was asked to reply to the allegations levelled against him by the Army Chief who claimed that the former Lt General had approached him on September 22, 2010 with a bribe offer of Rs 14 crore to clear a tranche of 600 Tatra trucks for the Army.
Sources in the CBI said that Singh was asked about the reasons of his visit to Army chief`s office. The agency is close to converting the preliminary inquiry against Singh into an FIR.
The probe so far suggested role of some former Army officers in clearing the deal for the trucks, official sources said.
The CBI had recorded the statement of Army Chief on April 20 in which he reiterated the allegations against Singh saying that he had made the offer on behalf of Vectra group chairman Ravi Rishi, sources said.
CBI has registered a case in purchases of Tatra Trucks to Army on March 30 against Ravi Rishi, unknown officials of Defence Ministry and UK-based Vectra company.
The CBI sources claimed that documents showed that there was an apparent hurry shown in signing the Memorandum of Understanding in just three days between Tatra Sipox UK and the state-owned BEML in June, 1997.
The agency had questioned Rishi in connection to the case several times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?