Tatra deal: CBI to chargesheet Natarajan?
New Delhi: Days after the Ministry of Defence suspended the Bharat Earths and Movers Limited (BEML) chief VRS Natarajan for his alleged role in the controversial Tatra trucks deal, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) may a file a chargesheet against him on Wednesday in connection with the case.
The central probe agency is believed to have gathered evidence suggesting that Natarajan took favours from Vectra chief Ravi Rishi, who is also under scrutiny in connection with the Tatra deal.
BEML Chief was on Monday suspended by the Defence Ministry in connection with the Tatra case on a CBI recommendation after former Army Chief Gen VK Singh levelled allegations that he was offered Rs14 crore bribe to clear a deal for 600 trucks.
His suspension came a few days after the Defence Ministry issued a show cause notice to him for slapping a defamation notice against Gen VK Singh without its permission.
The Government put the BEML chief under suspension following a recommendation by the CBI that he should be kept away from the post to ensure fair investigation, the government later said in a statement.
Natarajan has come under the CBI scanner in a separate case regarding alleged irregularities in procurement and supply of Tatra all-terrain vehicles to Army but he is not an accused in the case.
Gen VK Singh, who retired on May 31 after holding the post of the Army chief for over two years, had alleged in March that he was offered Rs14 crore bribe by Lt Gen (retd) Tejinder Singh to clear supply of a tranche of 600 Tatra trucks from BEML.
On June 6, the Defence Ministry sought an explanation from BEML chief VRS Natarajan for serving a legal notice on Gen VK Singh demanding an apology for his alleged defamatory statements against the defence PSU on the Tatra truck issue.
The CBI has also booked the BEML chairman for alleged cheating, criminal conspiracy and corruption in connection with tendering process for hiring a private consultancy firm and carried out searches at several locations including his residence.
With Agency Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre