Tawang monastery faces danger due to landslides
Itanagar: The famous Tawang Monastery in
Arunachal Pradesh is under imminent threat of collapse
following massive landslides around it.
The 330-year-old monastery, also known as Gaden Namgyal
Lhatse, which stands on the spur of a hill about 10,000 feet
above sea level, is witnessing massive landslide around it
since Monday, officials said.
The landslide had already damaged the plantation and some
electric posts around the monastery located in Twang-chu
valley of Tawang district, they said.
Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu visited the site on Friday to assess the damage and asked the district administration and
public works department to put their men and machine in place
to contain further damage to the site.
Khandu also said he would take up the matter with the
Centre to save the monastery, one of the biggest in the world.
The monastery, belonging to the Gelugpa sect of Buddhism,
was founded by Mera Lama Lodre Gyatso in 1680 in compliance
with the wishes of the 5th Dalai Lama.
The monastery has a three-storey library which boasts of
a collection of 400-year-old Kangyur scriptures, large
collections of Sutras, Tangym, Sungbhum, old books and
invaluable manuscripts -- both handwritten and printed, many
of them in gold.
The monastery has 65 residential buildings, currently
housing about 450 Lamas. It controls 17 gompas and a few
nunneries in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video