Tawang monastery faces danger due to landslides
Itanagar: The famous Tawang Monastery in
Arunachal Pradesh is under imminent threat of collapse
following massive landslides around it.
The 330-year-old monastery, also known as Gaden Namgyal
Lhatse, which stands on the spur of a hill about 10,000 feet
above sea level, is witnessing massive landslide around it
since Monday, officials said.
The landslide had already damaged the plantation and some
electric posts around the monastery located in Twang-chu
valley of Tawang district, they said.
Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu visited the site on Friday to assess the damage and asked the district administration and
public works department to put their men and machine in place
to contain further damage to the site.
Khandu also said he would take up the matter with the
Centre to save the monastery, one of the biggest in the world.
The monastery, belonging to the Gelugpa sect of Buddhism,
was founded by Mera Lama Lodre Gyatso in 1680 in compliance
with the wishes of the 5th Dalai Lama.
The monastery has a three-storey library which boasts of
a collection of 400-year-old Kangyur scriptures, large
collections of Sutras, Tangym, Sungbhum, old books and
invaluable manuscripts -- both handwritten and printed, many
of them in gold.
The monastery has 65 residential buildings, currently
housing about 450 Lamas. It controls 17 gompas and a few
nunneries in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez