Tax concession on edu loan interest extended to all streams
New Delhi: The government has extended tax concession on interest paid for educational loan to all streams of studies including vocational courses, benefiting students from all economic strata opting for higher studies, from this academic session onwards.
The concession was till now restricted for graduate and post-graduate courses in engineering, medicine, management and post-graduate courses in applied sciences or pure sciences including mathematics and statistics.
"The latest amendment in section 80E of the I-T Act will bring all the streams of education (apart from regular ones) and vocational courses under its ambit. This will benefit the students who apply for graduate and postgraduate courses in various streams during the upcoming academic session," a senior Finance Ministry official said.
It will help all such students who take up vocational courses and studies in streams of arts and commerce. Till now this concession was only allowed for regular courses in engineering, medicine, management and pure and applied sciences, the official said.
The new arrangement will be applicable for 2009-10 financial year and help students who take loans for studies during assessment year 2010-11 and the subsequent years, the official said.
With the amendment in Section 80E (deduction allowed in respect of interest on loans taken for pursuing higher education) of the Income Tax Act, the new clause in the I-T Act will "extend its scope to cover all fields of studies (including vocational studies) pursued after passing the Senior Secondary examination or its equivalent from any school, board or university recognised by the central government or state government or local authority or by any other authority authorised by the central government or state government or local authority to do so."
Interestingly, the I-T concession on such a loan will also be extended to parents who have legally adopted a child.
"This will encourage parents to adopt a child without worrying for the expenses of the child`s studies. An individual can take a loan under this category for his or her spouse or children too," the official said.
"Further, the scope of the term `relative` has also been expanded in relation to an individual to mean the spouse and children of that individual or the student for whom the individual is the legal guardian," the latest I-T amendment for section 80E states.
Section 80E of I-T Act provides for a deduction to an assessee, being an individual, on account of any amount paid by him in the previous year by way of interest on loan taken from any financial institution or any approved charitable institution for the purpose of pursuing higher education in
specified fields of study.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe