TC leader leaves Ashok Hotel, agrees to pay "extra" expenses
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress leader and
Union Minister Sultan Ahmed, who ran up a bill of Rs 37 lakh
for staying in the five-star Hotel Ashok, has moved out after
his party asked him to pay "all the extra expenses" from his
"I have left Ashok Hotel. I am making preparations to
pay the bills," Ahmed told PTI here but did not divulge the
The Minister of State for Tourism said he had been
allotted an official bungalow "only a few days ago" and was,
therefore, staying in the hotel "as advised by the officials".
Confirming that Ahmed had run up a bill of Rs 37 lakh,
TC Lok Sabha Chief Whip Sudip Bandopadhyay told PTI that Ahmed
"has been asked to pay for all the extra expenses from his own
Bandopadhyay said Ahmed was a first-time MP and
Minister and was "asked by Tourism Ministry officials to move
into Ashok Hotel. He was obviously misguided".
He also said the party suspected the CPI(M), Left
Front partners and "even some friendly parties" of being
behind "efforts to defame" it.
According to sources, Ahmed was staying in a luxury
category business suite comprising two rooms, whose going rate
was Rs 20,000 per night. But it was given to the MoS at a rate
of Rs 7,000 a night.
They said the bills have already been referred to the
concerned authorities, indicating the Directorate of Estates
and the Lok Sabha Housing Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past