TC to back land bill if suggestions accepted
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress will support the
land acquisition bill in Parliament only if its suggestions,
like return of 10 per cent developed land, are accepted, party
supremo and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday
"I will support the National Land Acquisition and
Rehabilitation and Resettlement Bill, 2011 if what we have
suggested is incorporated.
"We want among other things that 10 per cent developed
land should be returned, rate of compensation should be more
than market rate, besides a rehabilitation package and
employment," Banerjee, whose party has 19 members in the Lok
She was asked by reporters whether she would give back
the new bill, the draft of which has been put on public
"It is our government`s policy that we will not
acquire even an inch of land forcibly," Banerjee, who steered
the Singur and Nandigram movements, told Bengali TV news
channel `Star Ananda`.
She said that industrialists would have to purchase
land directly for setting up units in the state. "They will
feel more comfortable, if they go for direct purchase."
Banerjee, however, said land might be acquired for
defence, national security, construction of embankments or
railway lines which involved public interest.
"I am against acquisition of land for private
purposes," she said, adding, "Even for public purpose we
should not go for acquisition unless it involves essential
On NTPC`s proposed power project at Katwa in Burdwan
district for which the company has sought 1000 acre, the chief
minister said that the PSU was told to construct the plant on
500 acre which was earlier acquired for the purpose.
"They have to build the project on land which is
there. We cannot acquire more land for it. If they require
more land, let them purchase it."
Without naming Tata Motors challenging the taking back
of land at Singur by the state government, Banerjee said,
"Someone has challenged it in the court. They can do it. I
will wait for the court verdict, but the land is with the
"I am committed to the people (to return land). I
can`t bluff the people of Singur. Even if I have to go to
jail, I will be happy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Indian consulate in Munich puts out advisory
- Chancellor Angela Merkel to convene German security council after Munich shootings: spokesman
- Merkel aide says cannot confirm Munich shooting was terrorism
- US stocks hit new records; weak British data hits pound
- Whirlpool's biggest challenge is rapid changes in global markets: CEO