TDP leader N Chandrababu Naidu does not rule out returning to NDA fold
New Delhi: Amid speculation that his party was moving closer to BJP, TDP leader N Chandrababu Naidu on Sunday did not rule out returning to NDA fold.
Naidu, who had met BJP President Rajnath Singh yesterday, said that under the Congress rule "nation is in crisis" and whenever such a situation occurred, his party has played a "positive role."
The former NDA convener, who concluded his two-day visit to the national capital today, however, said this was not time to discuss politics as Andhra Pradesh was in "disaster" as UPA government was treating the issue of division of the state as an "internal affair" of Congress.
"...Nation is in crisis. Our state is in disaster. As an economic reformer, I initiated economic reforms (as Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh). At that time (Atal Bihari) Vajpayee was Prime Minister....Today, there is frustration. Total economy has collapsed. No roads, no employment... Whenever there was a crisis, TDP has always played a positive role," Naidu said.
"Now, we have to play a positive role," the TDP chief said noting that his party had played a crucial role directly or indirectly in forming three governments -- National Front, United Front and NDA -- at the Centre.
Asked whether he would be the convenor of NDA or third front after the 2014 elections, Naidu said, "This is not the time to discuss politics...There is a national crisis. I have played positive role so many times in national politics."
TDP will play positive politics at the national stage after the current crisis in Andhra Pradesh gets over, he said.
Naidu, however, did not react to a question as to whether his party would support Narendra Modi as the Prime Minister.
His statement assumes significance as BJP is scouting for partners for pre-poll and post-poll alliances in a bid to expand NDA.
Naidu and the BJP chief had yesterday held an almost hour- long closed-door meeting at Singh`s residence here.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!