TDP pitches for electoral reforms
New Delhi: TDP on Monday pitched for electoral
reforms, saying steps should be taken to curtail the use of
money and muscle power in elections.
"We are for electoral reforms. Criminality, liquor, use of
money and muscle power very much exist in elections. So these
needed to be curtailed," TDP Parliamentary Party leader Nama
Nageswara Rao told reporters here.
Rao said the Election Commission, which is celebrating its
60 years of existence, should also make sure that voting
percentage in the elections do not remain low.
"The voting percentage always remains 60 per cent or low.
This means that about 40 per cent have not exercised their
democratic rights. For example, in Jubilee Hills area of
Hyderabad where people are very much educated, voter turn out
is 27 per cent. This area remains a concern," the Khammam MP
The issue of malfunctioning of EVMs, manufactured by
government controlled BCL and ECL, should be discussed and the
EC should organise a meeting of the parties on the matter, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Athlete Dutee Chand qualifies for Rio Olympics in 100m sprint
- Enthusiasm in social networking may earn you a job: ASSOCHAM report
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- Vikram Bhatt rips apart Kamaal R Khan through FB post! – Full text
- Google may launch its own handset to take on Apple
- Faulty gear-shift lever makes FCA recall 13,092 Maserati cars in US
- Pakistan looks for paid lobbyist in US after recent diplomatic disasters
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, Kolkata releases exam dates for PGET 2016