TDP to abstain from voting in Presidential poll
Hyderabad: The Telugu Desam Party has decided to abstain from voting in the July 19 Presidential election, a statement from party president N Chandrababu Naidu said Tuesday night.
"The TDP has been fighting the anti-people policies of the Congress for three decades now. Extending support to Congress nominee Pranab Mukherjee is not acceptable," Naidu said.
Similarly, supporting the candidature of NDA`s P A Sangma, backed by the "communal" BJP, would also be inappropriate.
"After lengthy deliberations on this in the party, we have decided to stay away from voting in the Presidential election," the former chief minister said.
The TDP has six MPs in Lok Sabha and five in Rajya Sabha.
It has 86 MLAs in AP but two of them have been siding with Kadapa MP and YSR Congress chief Y S Jaganmohan Reddy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?