TDP to abstain from voting in Presidential poll
Hyderabad: The Telugu Desam Party has decided to abstain from voting in the July 19 Presidential election, a statement from party president N Chandrababu Naidu said Tuesday night.
"The TDP has been fighting the anti-people policies of the Congress for three decades now. Extending support to Congress nominee Pranab Mukherjee is not acceptable," Naidu said.
Similarly, supporting the candidature of NDA`s P A Sangma, backed by the "communal" BJP, would also be inappropriate.
"After lengthy deliberations on this in the party, we have decided to stay away from voting in the Presidential election," the former chief minister said.
The TDP has six MPs in Lok Sabha and five in Rajya Sabha.
It has 86 MLAs in AP but two of them have been siding with Kadapa MP and YSR Congress chief Y S Jaganmohan Reddy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand