‘Tea production likely over 1 bn kg this year’
New Delhi: India may produce a record of over
one billion kg tea in the current year riding on the
continuous growth in output over the last five-six years, the
Rajya Sabha was informed on Wedesday.
"During the last five-six years, tea industry has seen
tremendous growth in production. We are going to close the
current year with over a billion kg production for the first
time in the history of our country," Minister of State for
Commerce and Industry Jyotiraditya Scindia said during
India had produced 966.4 million kg tea in 2010.
To a supplementary, Scindia said various schemes to
improve productivity of the tea gardens and address the
problems of producers were paying dividends.
Outlining various steps taken by the government, he said a
Special Purpose Tea Fund has been set up for extending
financial assistance for planting and rejuvenation of old tea
Financial assistance was also provided for factory
modernisation, value-addition and quality certification.
Scindia said a scheme to incentivise the production of
orthodox tea was also implemented.
Since small tea holdings accounted for nearly 26 per cent
of the total production in the country, special attention is
paid towards improving their productivity.
"Financial assistance to small growers is provided by way
of subsidy for new planting, setting up mini factories,
leaf collection centres, purchase of leaf carry bags and
weighing scales, revolving corpus for inputs, organising study
tours and setting up tea nurseries," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information