Teachers are true nation builders: Manmohan Singh
New Delhi: The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, on Wednesday greeted the teachers on the occasion of Teachers Day, saying they are the true nation builders.
"A teacher or a ``Guru`` is revered in our society for mentoring our children, building their character and preparing them to face larger challenges of life," he said.
Dr. Singh also remembered former President of India Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan on the occasion.
"On Teachers`` Day, we remember and honour one of our greatest leaders and teachers, Dr. S. Radhakrishnan. His work, dedication and wisdom continue to inspire generation after generation," he added.
In India, Teachers`` Day is celebrated on the 5th of September every year, as it is the birth anniversary of Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, a teacher and academic philosopher.
Teachers`` Day is considered to be a ``celebration`` day, where teachers and students report to school as usual but the usual activities and classes are replaced by activities of celebration, thanks and remembrance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress