Teachers are true nation builders: Manmohan Singh
New Delhi: The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, on Wednesday greeted the teachers on the occasion of Teachers Day, saying they are the true nation builders.
"A teacher or a ``Guru`` is revered in our society for mentoring our children, building their character and preparing them to face larger challenges of life," he said.
Dr. Singh also remembered former President of India Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan on the occasion.
"On Teachers`` Day, we remember and honour one of our greatest leaders and teachers, Dr. S. Radhakrishnan. His work, dedication and wisdom continue to inspire generation after generation," he added.
In India, Teachers`` Day is celebrated on the 5th of September every year, as it is the birth anniversary of Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, a teacher and academic philosopher.
Teachers`` Day is considered to be a ``celebration`` day, where teachers and students report to school as usual but the usual activities and classes are replaced by activities of celebration, thanks and remembrance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest