Team Anna accuses govt of muzzling people`s voice
New Delhi: Launching a campaign here to seek support for its indefinite fast, Team Anna on Friday accused the government of muzzling people`s voice by denying protest space to the group and said it will protest only at the Jantar Mantar or in jail.
Team Anna held a meeting in Karala village in north-west Delhi this evening which was attended by activists Arvind Kejriwal, Kumar Vishwas and Gopal Rai.
Addressing the gathering, Kejriwal accused the government of indulging in corruption and loot and interfering with people`s right to protest.
"Now they will decide whether we will protest, how many people will protest, how many days we will protest. This we cannot tolerate. We will protest only at Jantar Mantar or in jail," Kejriwal said.
His comments came against the backdrop of Delhi Police denying permission for the activists to hold an indefinite fast against UPA government at Jantar Mantar, contending that the timing of the protest coincides with the Monsoon Session of Parliament when it has to provide space to other outfits.
Kejriwal also alleged that Home Minister P Chidambaram was behind the denial of permission for holding protest at the Jantar Mantar.
He also raised the issue of land acquisition and said if a strong Lokpal law is enacted, then corruption in such cases could be addressed.
Several public meetings are being organized in the Delhi-NCR region, especially in the rural parts as part of the campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'