Team Anna accuses govt of muzzling people`s voice
New Delhi: Launching a campaign here to seek support for its indefinite fast, Team Anna on Friday accused the government of muzzling people`s voice by denying protest space to the group and said it will protest only at the Jantar Mantar or in jail.
Team Anna held a meeting in Karala village in north-west Delhi this evening which was attended by activists Arvind Kejriwal, Kumar Vishwas and Gopal Rai.
Addressing the gathering, Kejriwal accused the government of indulging in corruption and loot and interfering with people`s right to protest.
"Now they will decide whether we will protest, how many people will protest, how many days we will protest. This we cannot tolerate. We will protest only at Jantar Mantar or in jail," Kejriwal said.
His comments came against the backdrop of Delhi Police denying permission for the activists to hold an indefinite fast against UPA government at Jantar Mantar, contending that the timing of the protest coincides with the Monsoon Session of Parliament when it has to provide space to other outfits.
Kejriwal also alleged that Home Minister P Chidambaram was behind the denial of permission for holding protest at the Jantar Mantar.
He also raised the issue of land acquisition and said if a strong Lokpal law is enacted, then corruption in such cases could be addressed.
Several public meetings are being organized in the Delhi-NCR region, especially in the rural parts as part of the campaign.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference