`Team Anna charges against PM reckless`
Mumbai: Terming the corruption charges levelled by Team Anna against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as "reckless", Minister for Planning Ashwini Kumar on Wednesday said the insinuations deserved to be treated with contempt.
"I would only like to say that even to rebut these disgusting insinuations is in a way giving respectability to those allegations. I would like, as a responsible citizen, to treat them with the contempt they deserve," Kumar said on the sidelines of a function.
Team Anna, for the first time last Saturday, had clubbed Singh with 14 of his Cabinet colleagues, calling them corrupt and demanding an inquiry.
The allegation against the Prime Minister was based on a leaked draft CAG report on coal block allocations between 2004 and 2009 when coal ministry was with Manmohan Singh.
The draft CAG report purportedly claimed that the nation lost a whopping Rs 10.7 trillion as undue favours were bestowed on some commercial entities.
The Prime Minister has rebutted the charge and said he would quit public life if allegations were proved true.
Besides Singh and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, the Cabinet ministers against whom Team Anna had demanded a probe by SIT included P Chidambaram, Sharad Pawar, SM Krishna, Kamal Nath, Praful Patel, Vilasrao Deshmukh, Virbhadra Singh, Kapil Sibal, Salman Khurshid, GK Vasan, Farooq Abdullah, M Alagiri and Sushil Kumar Shinde.
Asserting that national accomplishments must not be negated by reckless insinuations, Kumar said criticizing public figures had become an almost daily affair today.
"People must give a befitting reply to these self-proclaimed moral sermonizers, who must first look inwards and see whether they have the moral credentials to talk of public morality," Kumar said, adding freedom of expression has certain limits.
"Criticism becomes reckless when it is based on completely untenable and unsubstantiated facts...Then it becomes destructive," the minister said.
Alleging that Team Anna was indulging in "destructive practices", he said, "I think what some members of Team Anna are doing is destroying a constructive national discourse."
Pointing out that the final CAG report is yet to be out, he said, "if on the basis of certain leaked passages of a draft (CAG) report you want to orchestrate a national campaign against the PM, all I can say is that it is so reckless and motivated."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA