`Team Anna charges against PM reckless`
Mumbai: Terming the corruption charges levelled by Team Anna against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as "reckless", Minister for Planning Ashwini Kumar on Wednesday said the insinuations deserved to be treated with contempt.
"I would only like to say that even to rebut these disgusting insinuations is in a way giving respectability to those allegations. I would like, as a responsible citizen, to treat them with the contempt they deserve," Kumar said on the sidelines of a function.
Team Anna, for the first time last Saturday, had clubbed Singh with 14 of his Cabinet colleagues, calling them corrupt and demanding an inquiry.
The allegation against the Prime Minister was based on a leaked draft CAG report on coal block allocations between 2004 and 2009 when coal ministry was with Manmohan Singh.
The draft CAG report purportedly claimed that the nation lost a whopping Rs 10.7 trillion as undue favours were bestowed on some commercial entities.
The Prime Minister has rebutted the charge and said he would quit public life if allegations were proved true.
Besides Singh and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, the Cabinet ministers against whom Team Anna had demanded a probe by SIT included P Chidambaram, Sharad Pawar, SM Krishna, Kamal Nath, Praful Patel, Vilasrao Deshmukh, Virbhadra Singh, Kapil Sibal, Salman Khurshid, GK Vasan, Farooq Abdullah, M Alagiri and Sushil Kumar Shinde.
Asserting that national accomplishments must not be negated by reckless insinuations, Kumar said criticizing public figures had become an almost daily affair today.
"People must give a befitting reply to these self-proclaimed moral sermonizers, who must first look inwards and see whether they have the moral credentials to talk of public morality," Kumar said, adding freedom of expression has certain limits.
"Criticism becomes reckless when it is based on completely untenable and unsubstantiated facts...Then it becomes destructive," the minister said.
Alleging that Team Anna was indulging in "destructive practices", he said, "I think what some members of Team Anna are doing is destroying a constructive national discourse."
Pointing out that the final CAG report is yet to be out, he said, "if on the basis of certain leaked passages of a draft (CAG) report you want to orchestrate a national campaign against the PM, all I can say is that it is so reckless and motivated."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram