Team Anna didn’t insult Tricolour: Police to court
New Delhi: Anna Hazare and his team,
accused of insulting the national flag during their anti-graft
protest last August, were on Thursday given clean chit by the
police which told a Delhi court that there "may be instances
of inadvertent disrespect" but "no gross affront to the flag".
"No disrespect to the dignity and hounour of the flag has
been shown or committed by the said persons," the police told
the court in its status report on its probe into the complaint
against Hazare and his team mates.
"There may be instance of inadvertent and unintentional
disrespect towards the displaying of the flag by the persons
but certainly, deliberate and intentional disrespect towards
the national flag by the alleged persons is not established on
the part of the alleged persons from the content of the
complaint," the police told Metropolitan Magistrate Anil Kumar
in its status report.
The report by Kamala Market police station house officer,
who had been ordered by the court to examine the complaint,
said "jubilant display of national flag by a citizen on a
particular event is in universal practice. It depicts
patriotic feelings of the people, which is paramount rather
than any inadvertent disrespect shown to the flag."
"From the content of the complaint, it is clear that the
national flag was not being used for any commercial purpose
nor was there any gross affront or indignity to the flag by
the alleged persons," the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery